Just over 80 years ago the cornerstone of the Supreme Court was put in place of the newly dedicated and still under construction Supreme Court Building.
Prior to the current Supreme Court Building, the Court was located inside the Capitol Building on the Senate side. From 1860 to 1932 the Court was located in what is known as the Old Senate Chamber. This Chamber was originally used by the Senate but was soon too small as the country grew. The Old Senate Chamber is now a Senate museum.
Attending the dedication of the Supreme Court’s cornerstone was President Herbert Hoover who assisted in laying the stone. Other attendees were Chief Justice Charles Evans Hughes, the Marine Corp Band and thousands of spectators.
This 80-year-old cornerstone holds firm as part of the highest court in the land.